There is nothing like piling the family in to the car, Mom passing out cups of hot cocoa, and Dad driving the family through neighborhood after neighborhood of Christmas light-adorned houses. It’s a favorite childhood memory and holiday tradition for many, and now you can pass along that tradition with these fabulously festive light displays around town!
Interlochen Lights Display
200 homeowners in the Interlochen neighborhood bedeck their houses with awesome light displays. This FREE drive-through light display opened this weekend and will run through December 25th until 11:30pm.
- From Interstate 30E: Take the Fielder Road Exit and go south to Randol Mill Road. Turn right on Randol Mill and follow it to Westwood Drive.
- From Interstate 30W: Take the Eastchase Parkway Exit, turn east on Meadowbrook Boulevard to Randol Mill Road, then right on Randol Mill Road to Westwood Drive.
Prairie Lights is back! This 2 mile stretch of dazzling holiday cheer featuring 4 million twinkling lights in over 100 displays. The kids can visit with Santa in his Holiday Village is set up at the halfway mark, until December 23rd (The Big Man has to pop back to the North Pole!). The displays will be open through New Year’s Eve. Cars with up to 8 people cost $15 Monday-Thursday, and $20 Friday-Sunday and holidays.
- Prairie Lights is located in Lynn Creek Park at 5700 Lake Ridge Parkway in Grand Prairie. Take I-30 or I-20 to 360 and go south. Make a left of Camp Wisdom Road and a right on Lake Ridge Parkway.
Farmers Branch Tour of Lights
Here’s another great FREE drive-through display of lights. Farmers Branch’s holiday lights display is open nightly through New Year’s Eve from 6:30PM-9:30PM.
- Take I-35E, exit at Valley View Lane and follow the candy cane signs.
Six Flags’ Holiday In The Park
Six Flags’ annual celebration of the holidays is back with more than a million twinkling lights, holiday shows, and much more! Visit Santa and Santa Land. Holiday In The Park is open until January 2nd, 2012. Plus, you can still ride your favorite rides! Park admission for adults is $56.99, children $36.99, and online tickets are $36.99.
- Six Flags Over Texas, 2201 Road to Six Flags, Arlington, TX 76011. 817-640-8900. Located near I-30 and Highway 360.
Here’s another wonderful and FREE neighborhood filled with homes lit up for the holidays! Party Animals Carriage Rides are available through New Year’s Eve, call 214-441-9996.
- Deerfield is located in the Northwest corner of Plano between Preston and Coit. You’ll want to enter from Legacy on Colonnade and Archgate. Make note of some one-way and restricted-turn signs along the way. Also, the HOA asks that guests do not stop to take pictures as it could hold up traffic
This historic Oak Cliff neighborhood is beautiful in the daytime, but at night, it sparkles like diamonds with holiday light displays. It’s FREE to drive-through, so grab some Starbucks and hop in the car.
- From downtown Dallas: go West on I-30. Take the Sylvan exit – turn left (south) on Sylvan. Travel about a half a mile on Sylvan to Colorado – go right (west) on Colorado. Travel another half mile on Colorado to the intersection of Colorado and Lausanne. Look for a big traffic triangle at that intersection with five large trees.
Another gorgeous neighborhood with FREE drive-through displays. Highland Park’s high-dollar homes are all lit up with beautiful displays. You can also tour the neighborhoods with carriage rides for a fee.
- The best place to enter is at Armstrong Parkway and Preston Road. The homes are beautifully (and professional) dressed for the holidays. The area is bordered by Preston on the east side, Mockingbird to the north, the Dallas North Tollway to the west, and Armstrong Parkway for an entrance.
Christmas in the Square
Frisco Square knows how to dazzle! Come up to enjoy the choreographed light displays set to music. The displays are open, FREE, and will run through January 8th, 2012. Stroll along the square and visit shops, or just drive through and marvel at the lights.
- Frisco Square is located along Main St and the Dallas North Tollway.
Texas Gift of Lights
Texas Motor Speedway
A million light and 100 displays await you at the Texas Motor Speedway. Gift of Lights runs through New Year’s Day, including Christmas Day. The attraction opens at 5:30 nightly, and closes at 9PM Monday-Thursday and 10PM Friday-Sunday. The cost is $15 per car Monday-Thursday, $20 per car Friday-Sunday. Call 888-926-7405 for advance tickets.
White Chapel United Methodist Church
Anybody driving down Southlake Boulevard is bound to have noticed the Christmas display at White Chapel UMC. The front of the church has been converted to a huge video screen for an amazing Christmas show that you’ll have to see to believe!
- White Chapel UMC is located on the corner of Southlake Blvd and N White Chapel Blvd in Southlake.