I bet you didn’t say Grandma.
According to Delish people the ages 65 and older are doing most of America’s drinking.
College students might drink the most volume, but the Center For Disease Control says that people over 65 are binge drinking most often. The CDC study was a randomized phone survey throughout the country.
The study found that binge drinking among 18-34 year-olds was most common, people over the age of 65 are binge drinking more frequently.
The total population of people who binge drink do it about four times a month, where as people over the age of 65 binge drink five and a half times a month.
Seniors binge drink most often, but 28.2 percent of young adults, 18-24, binge drink. This makes the young adult group the highest in the amount of drinkers. They also consumed the most alcohol per binge drinking experience at an average of 9.3 drinks.
The study also showed that 1 in 6 Americans binge drink, which is drinking five or more alcoholic beverages for men and four for women. That’s up 15 percent from last year. This is the first time that the number of binge drinkers have risen in this country for 15 years. While the rise is alarming, it may be attributed to the fact that this is the first time the CDC has used cell phones in the survey, which increases the amount of young adults included in the study.
According to the study binge drinking leads to, “more than half of the 80,000 deaths and three-quarters of the $223.5 billion in economic costs caused by excessive drinking.” The study also states that there are 54 different injuries and diseases related with the over consumption of alcohol.
The CDC recommends that alcohol prices be raised, limiting when it is sold, and restricting the amount of liquor licenses in specific areas to try to combat the rise in binge drinking.
- John Legend Debuts Moving ‘Surefire’ Video
- Rock Climber Barely Misses a Deathly Fall
- Katy Perry Paid Massive Amount to Judge American Idol
- Titanic Director James Cameron Sued by Florida Man Who Claims He Inspired the Love Story
- Billy Bush Gives First Interview Since ‘Today’ Firing: “I Wish I Had Changed the Topic”
- Climb Mount Everest In Virtual Reality
- Cher Blows Everyone Away In Pasties & Diamonds At The Billboard Music Awards
- High School Student’s Yearbook Quote Comes From The Office, Season 7, Episode 19, Minute 14:45
- Netflix Gets Booed At Cannes
- Alexandra Daddario Responds To Rumors Of Potential Romance With “Baywatch” Co-Star Zac Efron