The Greenville Avenue St Patty’s Day Parade is back on, and it’s all thanks to Mark Cuban. He felt that he couldn’t “let it die,” so he whipped out his checkbook and donated the “green” to ensure there will be green-aplenty on Greenville Avenue this March.
A tradition that started in 1979, the Greenville Avenue St Patrick’s Parade has grown over the years. With its growth, the City of Dallas began requiring more security and baracades. The increasing requirements pushed the price tag from under $50,000 to almost six figures, according to the Dallas Observer. This year, the parade fund was short $40,000 that was due by this Friday.
A grassroots fundraising effort never quite got off the ground, and only managed to raise $3,600 between two campaign websites. With the deadline looming, Greenville Avenue Area Business Association president Jorge Levy shot an email to Mark Cuban last week. Seven minutes later, Cuban’s reply was simply, “Can’t let it die.”
[photogallerylink id=31214 align=right]
Not only did Mark Cuban donate the full amount of $40,000 to save the parade, he also donated $25,000 to the DISD scholarship that is usually supported by parade revenue. Cuban also expressed interest in supporting the parade in the future.
This year’s parade falls on St Patrick’s Day itself, Saturday March 17th. It kicks off at 11:00AM at Park Lane, and it will head south on Greenville Avenue to SMU Boulevard. There will be no parking along the neighborhood streets surrounding Greenville Avenue, so if you plan on heading to the parade, your best bets will be taking a cab or DART rail Red Line to Park Lane or Lovers Lane. Get there early to make sure you have a good spot!
- Fox News’ Bulls & Bears Host, Brenda Buttner, Has Died
- Check Out The Official Trailer For King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword
- Study Shows Flag Football As Dangerous As Tackle Football
- New Device Will Get Your Phone Charged Using Energy From Your Hands
- Watch: This Bird Does An Amazing Impression Of Rihanna!
- Adam Levine And Blake Shelton Get Candid About Quitting “The Voice,” Admit They’ve Picked Their Replacements
- Dog Lovers Are Blessed And Happy, Cat Lovers Are Sad And Single According To New Survey
- Abandoned Dog Finds A New Home (And New Job) At A Gas Station In Brazil
- Blake Shelton Takes Gwen Stefani & Kids on Helicopter Ride
- Watch The Just Released Music Video For Katy Perry’s “Chained To The Rhythm!”