Unfortunately for the Material Girl, she didn’t break a good record. Forbes reports that Madonna’s new album, MDNA, has achieved the biggest second week drop of all time, with expectations that it will plummet 88 percent in sales from the first week when official numbers are released on Wednesday.
In terms of hard numbers, that means Madonna expected to go from her No. 1 position with 359,000 albums sold in the first week to selling around 46,000 in the second week. Forbes attributes Madonna’s first week success to the bundling of her CD with concert tickets. The Hollywood Reporter confirms that 185,000 of Madonna’s first week sales came from that deal. If those packages had not been counted as CD sales, Lionel Richie would have beat Madonna out for the No. 1 slot last week.
Lady Gaga faced a similar second week drop-off for her album Born This Way in 2011, which was priced for $1.99 on Amazon during the first week of sales. In her second week, sales dipped 84 percent, from 1.1 million copies to 174,000.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
More Stories You’ll K-LUV
- Gal Gadot Almost Gave Up Acting Before Landing Wonder Woman Role
- Did You Know There’s a Texas Shaped Pool in Plano?
- A Vet in Dublin Ireland is Hiring a Professional Cat Cuddler
- Peyton Manning Sings On Stage With Chris Stapleton at Red Rocks
- Tom Cruise Says ‘Top Gun’ Sequel Coming Soon
- Justin Bieber Forgets The Spanish Lyrics To ‘Despacito’ During Live Show
- Spicy Starburst And Skittles Are Set For Release This Winter
- Massive Landslide Blankets California’s Iconic Coastal Highway
- Kim Kardashian Wishes Kanye West a Happy Anniversary
- Cowboys Ezekiel Elliott Involved in Car Crash, To Miss Second Day of OTAs