Jason Segel is at it again, hitting the big screen this weekend with another comedy. Our Queen of the Silver Screen, Julie Fisk, is a member is of the DFW Film Critics Association and took a peak at our favorite funny man’s new movie.
Five Year Engagement
“The Five Year Engagement” stars Jason Segel and Emily Blunt as a couple who hit some speed bumps on their way down the aisle. It was directed by Nick Stoller, who directed “Forgetting Sarah Marshall.” It’s also produced by Judd Apatow, so it has all the gross-out-humor you’d expect from these two, but it’s surprisingly relatable and sweet for an R-rated film of this nature. “Engagement” exceeds 2 hours though, and it runs out of steam midway through. Stoller should have shaved it down to about a 3-year engagement. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are adorable though and I was engaged all the way through. That’s why I’m giving “The Five Year Engagement” a B-.
Also out this weekend is “Pirates Band of Misfits,” starring Hugh Grant as a Pirate who struggles to win the Pirate of the Year Award. This is another offering from Britain’s Aardman Animation, who brought us “Arthur Christmas” over the holidays. This time they returned to stop-motion animation, like their “Wallace and Gromit” movies and they take the art form to all new levels. I’d like to watch “Pirates” again so I can catch all the jokes that are going on in the background. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer much more than that. I kept thinking the movie would get funnier at some point, and it didn’t elicit many laughs from my kids. That’s why I’m giving “Pirates Band of Misfits” a C. Aardman also snuck in some swear words. They’re quick and would have gone unnoticed by my kids, if I hadn’t snort-laughed at them.
— Julie Fisk, The New 103.7 Lite FM
More Stories From The New 103.7 Lite FM
- Fergie Premieres Stylish ‘Like It Ain’t Nuttin” Video
- Texas Ranger Reveal New Rendering of Globe Life Field
- What’s the Song in the Trailer for Wes Anderson’s ‘Isle of Dogs’?
- Eagle Eyed Mom Noticed An Inappropriate Easter Egg On A Netflix Kids Show (NSFW)
- DJ Snake Unveils New Single ‘A Different Way’
- Suge Knight Thinks Tupac Might Still Be Alive
- Macklemore and Kesha Go Camping in Nostalgic ‘Good Old Days’ Video
- Scary Clown Donut Deliver Service is Happening in Frisco
- These Kittens Dressed Up as Taylor Swift Will Make Your Day
- Niall Horan Debuts Melancholy ‘Too Much To Ask’ Video