Exploding Rhubarb Chutney Destroys Apartment

(Photo by Matthew Peyton/Getty Images)

(Photo by Matthew Peyton/Getty Images)

Margaret Goodwin was really looking forward to having some of her neighbor’s rhubarb chutney. The 66-year-old woman in Henley-on-Thames, UK, stashed the dish of her neighbor’s chutney in her fridge and left it to enjoy later.

The chutney fermented for five days in the fridge, building up enough methane to cause an explosion that not only blew the door off the fridge but also lifted the ceiling and leave cracks in the top of the walls on her living room and porch.

Luckily, Goodwin was asleep during the blast. She thought a gas main had exploded, but fire officials found the uncovered rhubarb chutney in the fridge.

“If I had been standing in the way,¬†it would probably have killed me”¬†Goodwin said, according to Huff Post. “The noise was absolutely deafening, even in my bedroom, and when I went to investigate, I wasn’t sure at first what had happened. We don’t have gas in the building but it was obvious something out of the ordinary had happened. I was quite shaken up.”

Other recipients of the rhubarb chutney were advised to remove the explosive treat from their fridges.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From AMP 1037

Radio.com App
Smooth Jazz 103.7 HD2 The Oasis

Listen Live