Over the weekend, Food Network celebrity chef Giada de Laurentiis suffered a turkey-related injury during a live Thanksgiving cooking special. She sliced into her finger while cutting the turkey and had to be taken to the hospital, according to The New York Daily News. Ack! Ouch!
Turkeys are dangerous. Whether in the cooking, the slicing, or even the carrying, we all have tales of turkey trauma, and this morning, we shared our stories.
This weekend, we were all at TCU to help LT’s Giving Thanks by passing out Thanksgiving groceries to hungry local families. Tony and John were tossing turkeys all day, and on Sunday morning, Tony says his right forearm and left hand were both sore.
Julie and her daughters helped break down the turkey boxes. She somehow hyperextended her thumb while doing that. Not only that, she rolled her ankle stomping too hard on the boxes.
John nearly suffered an injury when a box of two turkeys ripped in half and sent the turkeys falling on his feet. Luckily, he was wearing steel-toed work boots.
Despite his recent turkey trauma, Tony has a turkey tale that is more embarrassing. It was the first time he deep-fried a turkey. The turkey gets ridiculously juicy and has to sit for awhile after frying. When Tony went to cut into it, the turkey shot juice right into his eyeball.